Monday, September 01, 2008

AUSTIN TRIATHLON RACE REPORT

WEll, there isn't one. Here is the story...

After River Cities Tri (Aug 3) I put in about 4 or so weeks of solid training. My swim was feeling great, was killing it on the bike and my run was starting to come around. I was fit. Excited to race. Until...

Saturday morning. B and I went for a nice easy 30 minute jog just to warm up our legs. About half way through the run my foot was killing me. No...not my heel (although it was the same foot) but more underneath my foot. I had to hobble/walk the rest of the way home. After the run we headed down to Source Endurance for a nice easy Austin Tri pre-course ride. And EASY it was. I think we rode 8 miles in about 1.5 hours or so... which also included a lot of stops. I was having fun talking to everyone and telling them how excited I was to race the Austin Tri, and that my PF was getting better. I was finally going to be able to finish out the season this year.

My foot hurt a little during the ride but just thought nothing of it. Got home and iced my foot right away hoping the pain would go away. It almost felt as if I had a really bad foot cramp or my foot needed to be cracked. Anyways, as the day went on my foot hurt even more.

Saturday evening I was a little concerned and didn't know what to do. I didn't want to go to the emergency room, as it didn't hurt that bad but I knew something was up. Luckily, I have a friend who happens to be an ER doctor. I called her up and gave her my symptoms. She immediately thought it was probably a stress fracture, but would need to see me to be sure. So...I headed over to her house around 8:00pm Saturday night so that she could look at my foot. Her diagnosis...probably an acute stress fracture to the 4th metatarsal. WHAT??? How could this happen? I only went for a 30 minute EASY run. My heel was feeling good. My training has been going well. Why is this happening two days before a race? I couldn't believe it. I told Patti (ER Doc) and B that there was no way I wasn't racing, especially after I have been telling everyone how excited I was to race and to finish out the season. They both looked at me as if I was crazy to try and race since I could barely walk.

As soon as I got in the car, B said it was ok to cry (again not much of a crier). But...I cried all the way home. I e-mailed Dr. Seller's when I got home so that I could get his opinion as well. Sunday rolled around and I intended to get an x-ray in the morning, but none of the radiology places were open. To my surprise, Dr. Seller's called me and told me to meet him at his office to do some tests. What Doctor calls and meets you at the office on a Sunday??? Awesome. Dr. Seller's did some tests and he also agreed with Patti in that it is possibly a stress fracture. I will be getting an x-ray tomorrow to know for sure if it is a stress fracture.

Un-freaking-believable. So...no Austin Tri for me. I'm more frustrated than anything. This is the second year in a row that I have had to end my season early. I know that it's not the end of the world and things could definitely be a lot worse. I guess this is just a sign telling me to stop and get healthy. Well...I'm going to listen and take a full 6-8 weeks off of running and a couple of weeks off of biking as well. I know this is all happening for a reason and I think the time off will be good for me (but hard). I hope to come back fitter, stronger and healthier next year.

There is some good news... my heel pain is gone (at least I don't feel it)! And I hope it NEVER returns. Both doctors told me that I've probably had the stress fracture for awhile but didn't notice it because of my heel pain. Interesting...but makes sense.

Thank you's: Patti- FOR EVERYTHING, I don't know what I would have done without all your help, Dr. Seller's- for shortening your golf game so that you could see me on a Sunday afternoon, you're the best, and I owe you big, B- for putting up with me, B's parents- for cooking, cleaning, and helping us out this weekend, M&D- for keeping me company.

Time to REST up.

P.S. If anyone is looking for a relay partner for a triathlon, I will be happy to do the swim portion!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bummer! But I know you'll come back stronger and healthier!

Marlawanda said...

Amy,

It was really good to get a chance to spend time with you at the ride on Sat. I was truly sad to read Brandon's post on Sat eve re-the foot. Keep us up to date on what you learn from your x-ray and how the foot is healing.
I'd be completely honored to ever have you do the swim portion of a relay team with me. =)

Anonymous said...

So sorry Amy, I could tell you were really looking forward to the race. We sure missed seeing you perform out there. Injuries are just so frustrating. You will get through this stronger and more determined than ever. Thanks for the awesome coaching, my swim leg felt great.

BreeWee said...

Amy! I am so sorry... I had the most junk run of my life Sunday at IM KY so no IM Kona for me... that means my IM season is over early... been a bit bummed, so I am catching up on blogs and see yours is not ending the way you want it! I feel for ya! BUT I do think you will only come back stronger... I for sure know we will! Ending things the way we never expect only makes us more hungry- your competition will be scared of you (more than they are) next year!

Hey... does the Austin or Texas whatever it is 70.3 coming do relays? I bet not, but that would be too much fun... for once I would be first out having you swim for me!

ALL the BEST with your recovering! Fingers crossed for you to heal quicker than the 6wks!