Thursday, July 19, 2007

ITU Long Distance Worlds, Long trip, Long overdue post (once again)

Well it has been a long week of traveling, racing, touring and traveling some more. Last Sunday was the ITU Long Distance World Championships. Brandon and I both had good races. I ended up 7th overall (out of about 25 pro women) and first American. Brandon ended up 25th overall (out of about 53 pro men) and 3rd American.

The swim felt easy but I guess it was too easy since the front pack got away from me after the first loop. I ended up swimming the second loop on my own, which I don't like. I was about 6th or 7th out of the water. I'm swimming really well in the pool right now but just need to transfer that over to open water.

Out onto the bike I was drinking water like a mad women. I don't know if it was the salt water or what but I was so thirsty throughout the bike. The legs felt pretty good on the bike and I was able to catch a couple of girls and then some were able to catch me. I really enjoyed the bike course as it was rolling and had beautiful scenery. I was off the bike in 5th place.

The run was 3 loops and was suppose to be flat. I say suppose to be because that's what the description was on the course website. I'm here to say that the run course was anything but flat. You were either running up or down. The run was a struggle as I got passed by 2 women who were running really well. I couldn't believe how fast they were going when they passed me. So...I ended up 7th overall in which I was pleased to have another top 10 finish.

All in all it was a great experience. I think the highlight of the race was hanging out with the other pro American athletes. It was a great group of people and we all got along really well.

After the race Brandon and I headed back to Paris for a couple of days. We took a bike tour and saw many of the sights which was a lot of fun.

More later.

No comments: