Thursday, May 31, 2007

CapTex- NO GO

So...the World Championships of Austin (CapTex) was cancelled this past Monday. I woke up Monday morning at about 4:00am to some hard rain. I knew right then and there that things were not looking good for the race. When I woke up again at 5:00am it was still raining... HARD. However, Brandon and I still got all our stuff ready and we headed downtown to the race. We waited in the rain for about an hour or so before the race directors decided to cancel the triathlon. We were both pretty bummed.

I swear on Tuesday I had post race depression. I couldn't believe how tired I was on Tuesday and I didn't even race the day before (or do any workouts). I was so excited to race Captex and then to have it cancelled was just a big let down. I felt bad for all the volunteers who had to stand out in the rain for hours, and all the athletes who had traveled from out of town to race. The race directors did make the right call that morning and I'm sure it was a hard decision. Unfortunately, these type of situations happen. Last year... Brandon and I traveled all the way to Boston for a race and it ended up getting cancelled. Hopefully we'll have better luck next year.


Next up...We're headed to Shreveport, Louisiana this weekend for the Red River Triathlon (since we didn't get to race last weekend). I raced this triathlon last year and it was a lot of fun. Everyone stays around for the after party and awards just like the good old days (at least that's what Brandon tells me since he's been racing since he was born) Check back for an update on the race (in about 6 weeks!). Actually, I'm hoping to update more often but we'll see.

No comments: